His Majesty Sultan Haji Hassanal Bolkiah Mu’izzaddin Waddaulah ibn Al-Marhum Sultan Haji Omar Ali Saifuddien Sa’adul Khairi Waddien is the 29th Sultan of Brunei Darussalam, in a continuous line of succession of monarchy. His Majesty is also the Prime Minister, Minister of Defence, Minister of Finance and Minister of Foreign Affairs and Trade.

He, who was born on the 15th of  July 1946 makes today his 72nd birthday, and we would like to dedicate this article especially for our beloved Sultan. Here are some traits and experiences among a whole lot that we love about His Majesty.

He is very caring and loving

His Majesty is also known as ‘Sultan Berjiwa Rakyat’ which definition varies to a lot of people. To my point of view, it means he truly understands his people and he would go down with them. People could see it with their own eyes and there is no words need to be spoken once they do. To show appreciation, during every public events His Majesty attended, the people of Brunei would rush to greet him among a lot of crowd. It can be seen especially during last year’s Golden Jubilee celebration where thousands of people came filling up the entire town to celebrate and show their appreciation. To think about it, it is the whole country against a pair of hand. How did he do it? I say, you can only do it when you have a heart of a gold.

He cares for his people, he also gets to personally present the Degree Holder of the Universiti of Brunei Darussaalam their Degree Certificate. With that being said, you could only imagine how it feels like to end your university not just with a bang, but with His Majesty handing it personally to you. Luckily enough, I was one of them, and I remember feeling so happy and almost tearful because it wasn’t easy to be a part of the crowd! Whenever he goes abroad, too, he would gather, meet and greet students from Brunei just so they can make themselves feel at home by uniting them altogether.

It is obvious that the majority of Bruneians see the Sultan as fatherly, the provider, caring and always showing concern for their welfare and wellbeing.

He is aware of his surrounding

On the road, air or water. He is always, always aware. He notices buildings, he notices bridges, he notices human, even from inside the car! People would stopped at the side of the road and wave at him and there are 99% of the chances, you will get waved back, 1% is the time he did not see you. Even with this sightliest gesture would make any heart flutter!

A friend of mine and his dad once was walking to a mosque, seeing His Majesty driving to the mosque, they stopped at the gate due to respect and let His Majesty enter the premise first, but His Majesty notices them and stopped his car and with a big smile on his face, let them past by until they enter the mosque. It was a heartwarming experience for him especially when he shares it with his dad. Everybody who meet His Masjesty must have experience something that is simple, yet very meaniningful.

He loves children!

I once have encounter myself that he passes a primary school once and kids were running outside to wave at him, he saw it and to everyone’s surprise, he made a turn and went to the school to greet the children. He made time despite his busy schedule just to make these children smile wider which leads to the next point.

He is a good role model

Not only is His Majesty active in sports: polo matches, badminton, cycling, and regatta, just to name a few, he has also became a trendsetter to a lot. From sporting watches and always dressed to the tee. When seen in the media, the public would want to wear the same thing. To name a few of brands that got hyped up are Luminox and Hackett.

He goes to different mosque to do his Friday prayers every week and he also joined in a lot of religious prayers when necessary, this shows how he have always had the time to bow to none other than the Al-Mighty.

This few steps prove that no matter if you’re young or aged, you should do what you believe in.

He is generous

We are very fortunate to have give free education, free healthcare and no income tax in Brunei, thanks to His Majesty. We all know how expensive medical bills and treatments are everywhere, but through care and love, alhamdulillah, we are given the privilege to stay healthy.

To say the very few, His Majesty every year, without fail, would give out kurma to for the fast during Ramadhan. So, his people won’t have to spend on it and can break their fast even if there’s no food (or actually, when no one is cooking) around. He also gives ‘kurnia‘ which means gift which comes in money to the underprivileged, during Hari Raya to lessen their burden and make them celebrate the joyous season just like the others.

Strong leadership

Leaders set good example for us to follow. The Sultan sets the right example, advise and guide, while we learn and grow. His Majesty gives his inspiring titah (speech) to Bruneian students abroad, to become leaders in the future as well and turn the country into a great and prosperous nation, in efforts to achieve the nation’s Vision 2035.

With all that being said, we would like to greet His Majesty Sultan Haji Hassanal Bolkiah Mu’izzaddin Waddaulah ibn Al-Marhum Sultan Haji Omar Ali Saifuddien Sa’adul Khairi Waddien a happy 72th Birthday. Share your experiences with him in the comment below!