Feeling incomplete without that soft plushy feeling under your feet? Then it’s probably time to head out for some carpet shopping for the perfect rug.
Choosing the perfect rug for your home, however, can be quite the mammoth task. There are often so many options of textures, colours, designs, and sizes to pick from that one can get caught up in a furry mess. After all, you surely wish for your home to look perfect and not stick out like a sore thumb.
So how do you decide which carpet or area rug to go for? Here’s a checklist to help guide you through your shopping experience.
Where does it go?
Location, location, location. Where do you want to display your area rug? Which room does it go in?
- Living room – where guests will enjoy the softness of the rug, or for the family to lay down on and watch a movie?
- Bedroom – to give your feet warmth first thing in the morning, or to cushion the children from falling on the floor while playing in their room?
- Dining room – to accentuate your beautiful dining table and chairs with textures and patterns that will make your home look exquisite?
- Miscellaneous room – to give it that extra oomph or the perfect statement piece to liven the room up?
Once you’ve figured out which area you wish to purchase your rug for, here is a list of other things to consider:
- Weight: Do you do the housework alone? If you do, consider getting a lightweight rug that will ease your home cleaning burdens. On the other hand, if you have kids at home, get a heavier carpet that will not slip easily – you do not want a tripping hazard for children running around. A good rule of thumb to follow: lightweight carpets are good under coffee tables or dining tables, while heavier carpets are great to display in open areas.
- Texture: Have a preference between soft or rougher textures? Try contrasting your textures with bigger pieces of furniture. For example, if you own a leather sofa, get a rug that looks more fun and fluffy. On the other hand, if rosewood is your furniture of choice, then choose a texture that is soft and cosy but not too dramatic. Have pets? Get something that doesn’t end up getting used as a scratching surface.
- Arrangement: The bigger the rug the better? Not really. Choose a rug that fits well to your seating area and is not too small to lose its effect or too large that it takes up the whole room. Extend carpets to fit under your sofa or is bigger than the dining table – you want to show off your rug without allowing it to overtake the room.
- Style and pattern: There is no shortage of options when it comes to patterns these days. Choose between modern contemporary or classy traditional styles to make the statement you want for your home. Pair up your solid-coloured furniture with playful patterns to give your room the contrast that will lift it to another level.
- Colour: What effect would you like to give off in your room? According to home décor experts, dark colours make a room feel cosier while light colours will make your room appear larger. When choosing your colours, also consider factors like stains (if you have children or elderly) and the possibility of eventual fading (if your rug is in an area where it gets hit by sunlight often).
The Bottom Line
As you can probably tell by now, choosing a rug isn’t exactly ABC. A lot of things should be taken into account. The good news? It can be made into a fun shopping experience as long you know what you want before you step out of the house.
A good quality rug will take your home from basic to fabulous. Find something that feels right on your feet, looks right to your eyes, and brings joy to your heart. Do come up with a budget before setting out to shop and get something that doesn’t burn a hole in your pocket.